This is an American Antique quilt made circa 1930s. This piece is the absolute keystone of this collection and a feather in our cap. It is a very special and original Ruby McKim quilt design(many have reproduced similar patterns but it is important to note this is the very original Ruby McKim picket fence as she attended). It is an absolute handwork show-off and an ode to a 1920's era embroidered picket fence flower garden. Ruby McKim was a true renaissance woman, way ahead of her time. She is nationally known as the premiere quilt designer of the 20's and 30's. She was a fine artist who expressed her talent in many mediums, as well as a sharp business woman. She had a tremendous impact on the decorative arts of her era. Ruby's family dedicated a website to her in hopes that they would bring her life's work back to life. They state that they do not want her quilts backed away in dusty boxes in the attic and that they seek to light up her legacy and share the talent of her life with those who would appreciate it. Lady Lancaster would like to believe that this jacket will serve as a walking monument to Ruby's immense contributions. If you would like to nerd out, google her, and study more of her amazing contributions.
This specific quilt is densely hand embroidered, hand quilted, and the picket fence is completely hand sewn. In addition we know this piece was made in Holton, Indiana because the maker signed her work and embroidered her complete address. We have preserved the makers note and it can be found on the inside of the lapel. Please see photos in listing for more details. An additional item to note on this masterpiece is that the maker used an almond colored ground fabric which sets this piece apart. Most makers of this pattern throughout history have used an ivory or white. In our opinion this quilt is thin, soft, light weight, and has a buttery drape. Please note that while this piece is in excellent condition for its age there are a few gaps in the embroidery and if you look close in some of the photos you will see this. If you have more questions or would like to see photos please direct message us and we would be happy to give you more information.
- This jacket features side vents for generous movement and a beautiful drape.
- This jacket has two snaps at the tips of the collar that secure the lapel if desired.
- This jacket has two generous pockets.
- Fold the architectural collar down to create a lapel if desired.
- The Helen Jacket has a generous fit and is not meant to have a tailored look.
- One Size Fits Most-Model is 5’4 and approximately 125lbs
- If you have any questions about this jacket please direct message us on instagram and we will answer your question as quickly as possible. We do not accept returns. If you have any doubt please do not purchase. For sizing questions direct message us via instagram and we will be happy to send videos showing how our jackets fit.
36” back of the neck to the bottom of the hem
36” laying flat, armpit to armpit
Please note that all of our jackets are made from antique quilts and the fabric reflects this. Our fabrics are sometimes older than 100 years old and are perfectly worn. We believe this is what makes them special and is part of their charm. All of our garments are pre-washed in a special restoration quilt wash. We recommend only spot cleaning if necessary.